Grand Gedeh is a county in the eastern portion of the West African nation of Liberia. One of 15 counties that constitute the first-level of administrative division in the nation, it has three districts. Zwedru serves as the capital with the area of the county measuring 10,484 square kilometers
Grand Gedeh county located in the southeast part of Liberia is the third most populated. Grand Gedeh is bounded in the northwest by Nimba county, and by the Cavalla River in the northeast, in turn, forming the boundary with Cote d’Ivoire. In the southeast Grand Gedeh is bordered by River Gee and in the southwest by Sinoe County. The total land area of Grand Gedeh County is 10,276 square kilometers, which is about 9.22% of the total land area of Liberia.
Grand Gedeh is one of the few leeward counties established in 1964. Grand Gedeh was formerly known as the Eastern Province during the 1847 Constitution of Liberia. Its original capital was Tchien, now known as Zwedru.
Today Grand Gedeh County is subdivided into 2 Statutory districts, eight 8 Administrative districts, 16 Chiefdoms, 32 Clans. It contains 3 Cities and 236 Towns. The County is noted for its rich iron ore reserves and vast forests, which are depicted in the flag of the County.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: